- The downside of belly bands is that they can easily shift around and leak urine, especially if the pad isn’t changed out regularly.
- The belly band must be placed high enough on a male dog’s waist, so that it effectively secures his penis and contains the urine stream.
- You can also match the suspenders to your dog’s collar or other accessories. Most suspender sets cost between $15 to $30.
- Suspenders are usually a good choice for active dogs, as they will stay on despite jumping or playing.
Put a onesie over the diaper. If your dog is small enough, get a short-sleeved or no-sleeve baby onesie and put it on your dog. Then, place the diaper on your dog. Snap the onesie together at the back of your dog and this will hold your diaper against you.
- To make this work you’ll need to cut a hole in the onesie for your dog’s tail.
Secure a diaper or pad with modified underwear. You can also purchase a pair of small boy’s underwear in a size slightly smaller than your dog’s waist measurement. Cut out a spot for your dog’s tail and then use the underwear to hold a diaper or pad securely against your dog’s skin.
- If you decide to create a homemade strap, make sure that it is not too tight on your dog. Put it on your dog with a diaper and then see if you can comfortably fit one finger between the diaper and your dog’s skin.